L.L.Bean was founded in 1912 by Leon Leonwood (L.L.) Bean and transformed by his grandson Leon Gorman into a globally recognized outdoor brand. Headquartered in Freeport, Maine, L.L.Bean is a privately held, family-owned company. We do not release financial and operational information beyond what you will find here and do not produce an annual report.
Today, llbean.com is among the top-rated websites in the industry. There were over 1.6 million visits on Cyber Monday, 2018. We continually enhance our website to provide a first-class customer experience. Customers can shop thousands of products, book a course or an adventure with our Outdoor Discovery Programs, find store information, and much more. L.L.Bean maintains a strong presence on social media sites, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest. In 2011, we created our mobile commerce site at m.llbean.com.
In addition, L.L.Bean launched its Canadian website www.llbean.ca, selling merchandise at fixed prices in Canadian dollars and communicating duties upfront, to make shopping much more convenient for Canadian customers.
RETAIL & OUTLET STORES
L.L. opened his original store in Freeport in 1917. Now at over 200,000 square feet, our flagship store attracts over 3 million visitors each year. It is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and has not had locks on its doors since 1951. You can find many species of fish milling around in our 3,500-gallon fish tank and indoor trout pond. Customers can dine at the in-store 1912 Café, or enjoy ethically sourced coffee from local brand Coffee By Design.
The seven-acre Freeport campus also includes the Bike, Boat & Ski Store; Hunting & Fishing Store; Home Store; and a 16-foot L.L.Bean Boot sculpture. There’s always something to do in Discovery Park, home to summer concerts and other year-round outdoor events.
L.L.Bean operates 39 retail stores outside of Maine – spanning as far south as Virginia and as far west as Utah – as well as 10 outlets in the Northeast.
Since 1979, our Outdoor Discovery Programs – offered at every retail store – have helped customers enjoy outdoor activities and learn new skills. Offerings range from a few hours to multiday trips and include adventure trips, kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, fly casting and fly fishing, biking, snowshoeing, kids’ camps and more. Nearly 150,000 people participated in these programs in 2018.
- L.L.Bean was launched in 1912 with a three-page flyer, offering one product, the Maine Hunting Shoe. In 2018, we mailed catalogs to customers in every state and over 150 countries.
- L.L.Bean for Business provides L.L.Bean products and gift cards to corporate customers for group outfitting, special events, customer recognition and employee rewards. It offers easy ordering and logo setup, expert personalization and volume discounts.
L.L.Bean opened its first international retail store in Tokyo in 1992 and now operates 28 stores and outlets in Japan, where we also maintain a dedicated website, contact center and distribution center.
L.L.Bean has a large and growing customer base in Canada. In 2018, in addition to its new Canadian website, L.L.Bean announced its first-ever entrée into the Canadian wholesale and brick and mortar retail market under an exclusive agreement with Jaytex Group to distribute a broad assortment of L.L.Bean products. Jaytex Group, a 40-year old company, is a Canadian distributor of high-quality, brand name outerwear and apparel. The first retail store is planned to open in Oakville Place in the Toronto area in 2019.
Our global website serves over 200 countries and territories. Product prices are converted into over 60 currencies, and accurate tax and duty calculations are provided.
Like our flagship store, our Customer Service department — with two contact centers based right here in Maine — operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. L.L.Bean’s reputation for outstanding customer service is frequently recognized through industry awards and honors, as well as direct feedback from our customers.
MANUFACTURING & DISTRIBUTION
Manufacturing facilities are located in Brunswick and Lewiston, Maine, where over 400 employees produce such iconic products as the Maine Hunting Shoe®, the L.L.Bean Boot and the Boat and Tote®. Customer demand for the iconic L.L.Bean Boot remains high – nearly 600,000 pairs in 2018.
Our manufacturing facilities are part of OSHA’s prestigious Voluntary Protection Program for making employee health and safety top priorities. L.L.Bean’s expanded distribution center, located in Freeport, Maine, is a million-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility. It processes an average of 45,000 customer orders a day and can store over 10 million units of merchandise. Over 14.5 million packages were shipped in 2018– nearly 1 million packages in our busiest week.
- In 2012, L.L.Bean celebrated its 100th anniversary by unveiling the Bootmobile – a 13-foot-high, 20-foot-long, road-ready replica of the iconic L.L.Bean Boot. A second Bootmobile was added in 2013, and in 2017, L.L.Bean launched its third Bootmobile in Japan. The Bootmobile’s mission is to surprise and delight, while inspiring more people to find joy in the outdoors.
ENVIRONMENTAL & SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
We believe in creating high-quality, durable products – and making the world a better place. That means using sustainable resources wherever possible and doing everything we can to safeguard our natural environment. Here are some examples of the steps we’re taking.
• Decades ago, L.L.Bean established its first recycling program, and currently recycles over 83% of its waste.
• Our sustainably sourced catalog paper is PEFC-certified and made from 10%-20% recycled content.
• In 2003, L.L.Bean became the first Maine company to use biodiesel in its heavy-duty truck fleet.
• L.L.Bean is committed to building all new facilities sustainably, incorporating environmentally friendly features including plenty of natural light, renewable building materials, and energy efficient lighting and mechanical systems. L.L.Bean currently has 20 facilities that meet the US Green Building Council’s LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification standards.
• At the flagship store and corporate offices in Freeport, solar hot-water collectors enable L.L.Bean to cut its propane usage by 50% during winter and 100% during the warmer months.
• In the last 10 years, L.L.Bean has contributed nearly $30 million to a variety of non-profit organizations supporting outdoor recreation, conservation, and the responsible stewardship of our favorite places and natural resources.
• In the fall of 2018, we opened our new electric car charging station at our flagship store – the largest in Maine with 16 chargers.
2018 AWARD AND RECOGNITION HIGHLIGHTS
• StellaService: received third consecutive Elite award for exceptional customer service
• Harris Poll: ranked #15 overall for best corporate reputation
• L2 Inc: ranked #4th on the Digital IQ Index out of 74 different activewear brands
• Business Insider Magazine: “Best Sheets Overall” in the Insider Picks shopping guide
• Forbes Magazine: ranked #9th of 500 on America’s Best Mid-Size Employers list
• Newsweek Magazine: ranked #1 among the Brick and Mortar category of Outdoor Recreation Merchandisers
• Maine Preservation Society: 1 of 13 recipients of the “Honor” award